How I Blowout & Trim Kinky 4c Hair (for DIY Naturals)

The ability to learn and do most things on my own is something that I have always valued. It's no different when it comes to my kinky, 4c hair. Once I got my hair cut back in September 2014, I knew that maintaining my ends was something I just had to learn to do myself. I just am not about that "go to the salon and pay someone else to do what you can do" life. Sorry, not sorry! I haven't been in an actual salon in over 5 years (getting my cuz to cut my hair on his porch does not count). 
 
So after a trial run of blowing and trimming my own in January (2015), I had enough confidence to share how I blow out and trim my own hair. So after 6 months, I took out my camera to film the process for you. 


THE BLOW OUT

Kinky, 4c textured hair like mine can be pretty tricky to trim in it's natural state. With factors like shrinkage, it could be easy to snip away hair that looks uneven that really isn't. I find that the best way to prevent excessive snipping, is to blow out my hair before I trim it. I did my blow out on freshly washed hair, and I used the Carol's Daughter Sacred Tiare Styling Cream. It  says that it can be used as a blow out and flat iron cream. Get your clean hair, blow dryer, favorite heat protectant / blowout cream and see how I blew out my hair below. 
 
 
 
 
THE TRIM
 
Based on the comments under the video below, many naturalistas have had terrible in the salon experiences when it comes to getting a basic trim. Trimming your hair on your own does not have to be a scary process at all. Not having eyes in the back of your head is no problema either! In the video below, you can see how easy it was for me to trim my hair from all angles. 
 


I know it's cheesy, but we can do anything we put our minds too. Just stop freaking out and get down to business.


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment