Kitchen Beautician Blog #1: Marley Twists Crochet Braids





I've never been a fan of going to hair salons to get my hair done. I dislike it even more because of the cost that's involved and that dislike was intensified once my priority became providing for myself and my son. That's how I became a  hair DIYer (Do It Yourselfer) / Kitchen Beautician. Through the awesome place called YouTube I learned how to be my own hair stylist! I may not always get my hair absolutely perfect like the pros do but it's always good enough for me. 

My 27th birthday is coming up and I felt that it was time for me to treat my self with some type of style to pick me up. I knew that I wanted some thick marley/havana type twists but I didn't want to put so much time as busy as I was this past weekend. It's through browsing YouTube that I came across Ms. Lovestarr823's tutorial for Crotchet Marley Braids. Instead of spending a whole day, possibly a whole weekend, doing individual twists  the crotchet methods really cuts down on styling time by crocheting twists on to your cornrowed hair.  Please click the link for the very easy tutorial that Lovestarr provided.





What I Used:
  • Latch hook needle
  • Bobby Pins
  • Sensationel Soft N' Silky Afro Natural Twist Braid (2 Black, 1 Burgundy)
  • Flexi Rods

I wanted to try using flexi rods for more voluminous curls in my twists and it worked out fine. All of that volume created a cute bob shape and i totally love it! However the curls and shape are a bit difficult to maintain because sleeping on them kinda crushes the curls and flattens the back. That's why I'm gonna re-hot water my twist and use perm rods at the end to see what look I can get with that because as much as I love this bob I love me some sleep too. :)

I got this style done in about 3 hours with many mommy duty breaks.  Being a Hair DIYer is definitely a game of trial and error, but I still love being one. I get to push myself and see exactly what I can create!

Stay tuned for the results from curling with the perm rods.


No comments :

Post a Comment