A Cultural Family OOTD

I've been working really hard in preparation for Cultural Day (today) at the church  I attend (Memorial Moravian Church). Today is the day where the majority of the church wears African print fabrics of all kinds and in sooo many styles. For at least five years I've been saying that I would buy an outfit and participate, and I finally did it this year! 
 
I decided to make a circle skirt in an African print and wear it with some pieces that I already have in my closet. I must admit I followed many DIY tutorials and YouTube videos along the way to reassure myself that I was doing it properly. I think it turned out great!  I decided to make a kufi (traditional hat of many religions) and bow tie for my son. I also made a brooch for my mom!  
 

I love how my skirt came out! I'll definitely be making more for work, church, and for everything else. I'll be sure to take my time and make my own DIY Tutorial for them, but if you can't wait here's a link to a couple tutorials that I followed. 
Birdee's DIY Circle Skirt Tutorial
Tyianna Marie's Circle Skirt Tutorial on YouTube



African Print Brooches are a great way to celebrate your heritage. I made my mom's brooch following a Kanzashi Flower Tutorial on You Tube. She can easily take this brooch off and wear it with any other outfit she has!


I made the kufi and bow tie for my son completely on my own. I may upload a tutorial on them but there are so many DIY's out for both already. 

As fashionable as we all looked in church today, dressing up is not why I go to church. 
 
What I Learned From Today's Sermon?

Cultural traditions are meant to be passed down from generation to generation with the intention of building  the family up. As time passes things change but it is necessary to continue to keep certain aspects of our culture to a certain standard. If we don't do that, degradation (in so many aspects)  amongst our people occurs. 

That's how we got to twerking from traditional African dances of our ancestors. The speaker didn't say that last line (haha), but it's true!


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment