Fashion Blogging: Preparing for a lookbook or OOTD!


I've only just started incorporating my personal style into my blog but I've learned pretty quickly that it (fashion blogging) entails a lot of work. However if you love wearing clothes and taking pictures it won't seem like work to you at all. This blog is a recap of the process that went into producing my  "My Sunny Valentine Lookbook". Hopefully it helps bloggers just starting out like me. 
So what am I shooting with if I have my tripod in my hand? Let's just say I've found a use for my car's spoiler.

Shooting Equipment. At the very least a point and shoot camera and tripod are needed. I've been using my Canon Elph 115 and a affordable Vivitar Tripod thus far. If your camera is compatible with a remote then you can also purchase one at an affordable price. Keep in mind that you'll have to get a little creative with hiding the remote as you're taking your pictures. If you don't want to be bothered with a remote you can always use your camera's self timer. My camera gives me 10 seconds to get into position and can take up to 10 pics at a time. 

Don't fall for the pressures of getting a super pricey DSLR right out the gate. Trust me I'm constantly tempted by that Canon Rebel T3i and the lovely blurred background that it ( and many DSLRs) can produce. Make sure you explore  all the capabilities your current point and shoot has. I'm pretty pleased with what my camera can do for now until I can do better. I actually managed to get the shallow depth of field effect in some recent photos.
Shallow Depth of Field with a Point and Shoot: Focused subject and blurred background


Plan your outfit(s) on paper . Organize your outfits on paper or electronically, whichever way you prefer to organize things. I mean literally make a label "Outfit 1" and list all the components to that outfit (top, bottom, accessories, everything).  You're less likely to forget something when everything you need is listed. I did this and nothing was forgotten...Thank God!

Scout shooting locations!  With your outfits in mind, look at different locations that may compliment your outfits or are just so awesome that you just want to shoot there.

Pick a photo shoot date. Timing is absolutely everything. Be sure to check what the weather will be like on the day that your thinking about shooting on. Also the time of day is very important as it will have an affect on the sharpness or harshness of shadows in your photos. St.Thomas heat is definitely nothing to play with so you probably won't catch me taking photos mid day. Instead I'll be taking my photos within that "Golden Hour" where the sun is closer to the horizon (just after sunrise/before sunset) and the light isn't so harsh for your photos.

Take lots of photos! When you take a good amount (30-40) of photos of each look, it's more likely that you'll have more great shots  to choose from.

You can do all the research you want on how to take great photos, but it's not going to do you any good if you don't get out there and start clicking away. Don't feel like what you're bringing to the blog world is not great just because you don't have the best of the best equipment. Just be yourself, work with what you have, and be happy with that!



Remember to relax. Sometimes we are our worst critic. Always make sure you're having fun.

No comments :

Post a Comment