MIKA : A CARIBBEAN MISFIT?

ROCK, DUBSTEP, REGGAE, ALTERNATIVE, ELECTRONIC, POP, TIM BURTON MOVIES, MTV, DARIA, GAME OF THRONES, SKRILLEX, LINKIN PARK, EVANESCENCE, KATY PERRY, RIHANNA, BEYONCE, BOB MARLEY, TARRUS RILEY, PASSION FRUIT JUICE, GUAVA/COCONUT/PINEAPPLE TART, SALTFISH & DUMPLING, BAKE MACARONI, CARIBBEAN STUFFING, THE SIMPSONS, FUTURAMA, KING OF THE HILL, MARIO GO KART, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME , BLACK, WHITE, GRAY, COMBAT BOOTS, RAVES, TECHNO,TATTOOS, PIERCINGS, NATURAL HAIR, FACE & BODY ART, TWILIGHT, ASHANTI, BEYONCE, INDIA ARIE, OUTKAST, ACTION MOVIES, HORROR MOVIES, ROMANCE MOVIES, HARRY POTTER, DEADMAU5, ANIME, SAILOR MOON, RUGRATS, FINDING NEMO, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, PLUS SIZE FASHION, GRAPHIC TEES, BLAZERS, SKINNY JEANS, LOVE, TRAVELLING, JAPAN, NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES, BEACHES, SWIMMING, SNORKELING, READING, WRITTING, BLOGGING, YOU TUBE, PHOTOGRAPHY, SUSHI, REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA, TRUE BLOOD, SCANDAL, PLANET SIX, MEAT PATE, SALTFISH PATE, JOHNNY CAKE, STEW CHERRIES, ROBERT PATTINSON, JOHNNY DEPP, TYRESE GIBSON, DWAYNE "THE ROCK", TYLER PERRY MOVIES, TRANSFORMERS, THE AVENGERS, WAITING TO EXHALE, TLC, MICHAEL JACKSON, BRITNEY SPEARS, B2K, N'SYNC, LUDACRIS, MISSY ELLIOTT, ERYKAH BADU, GYPTIAN, PLUS SIZE FASHION, HOT TOPIC, FOREVER 21, FASHION TO FIGURE, ZOMBIES, AFRICAN PRINTS, VIRGIN ISLANDS NICE, DIY PROJECTS, ARTS & CRAFTS, WIZ KHALIFA, LIVING LIFE, MUSIC, ART...



 I've only been to one J'ouvert  in my entire life and I only stayed for about an hour because I had classes that day! When Carnival season is coming around, I'm not researching which troupes have the best costumes or looking at the Carnival schedule every other day to see what events are coming up. Most of the time I find out an event already happened when I see it in the newspaper the following day. I'm more likely to eat a cherry flavored special (flavored/natural drinks frozen in plastic cups sold for about 50 cents) over a soursop one anyday because I've never liked the taste of soursop. I'll eat fish and fungi if I didn't have a choice but I'd rather go to a subway and get a 6" sub - steak and cheese if you're buying. I grew up watching MTV! Shows like TRL , Daria, Real World, and Road Rules were some of my favorites. I would choose combat boots or flats quicker than stilettos. 
 
http://cdn.doandroidsdance.com/assets/2013/06/bob-sepia.jpg
The one and only, legendary Bob Marley!
http://epguides.com/Daria/cast.jpg
Characters from MTV's Daria!
 
I could go on and on about the things that make me  different but I'll be left with stubs for fingers and a bloody keyboard.
 

 
Many of the random facts that I've stated about myself have made me question myself in the past . Am I a  misfit? Am I too "Americanized"? Why am I not into local, Caribbean activities as much as friends and Caribbean people in general? It's pretty easy to question yourself when your interests and fascinations aren't celebrated or flaunted in your current location, but DON'T.
 
 Regardless of where you are in the world, whatever you love, like, don't like, hate...it all makes you who you are. There's nothing wrong with being yourself. 
 
 Take a look at the words in all caps that I've placed at the beginning of this blog post. They are all things that I like, love, are interested in, or are fascinated by. They are just some of what makes me...well me! If you also like, love, are intrigued by, or are fascinated by any of them then we're not really misfits at all.  No one is going to like every single thing that you like unless you're Prince Akeem's (from Coming to America) Queen to Beeee! *sorry I can't type queen to be without hearing that guy singing it*


The same way that you appreciate, respect, and love people for who they are, you should do this for yourself!
 

So am I a Caribbean misfit?
No. I'm just me. 
 
 

Find me on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook! I'm Luvmika87 in all! 
 
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment